Tuesday 30 September 2008

Young design programme


An impressive exhibition that I kind of stumbled across during the Design festival was the held at Somerset House. I was actually on my was actually on my way to visit the Re-Design exhibition, When I found this...and simply had to stop.

Stylistically, the layout and graphics of the exhibition were very impressive. However, I guess what made such an impact was the content and the work presented, by the Sorrell Foundation . The pioneering Young Design programme has been developed by the Sorrell Foundation, working in partnership with different universities; students, designers and Architects. In order to work collaboratively with different primary and high schools within the UK, to try to create responses to problems, that do not simply meet the needs of the teachers, but more importantly the needs and wants of the Students.


I was also lucky enough to be invited by the exhibition co-ordinator to join a presentation that was made by an architect and student whom worked together on a project. This not only influenced the boy during his time spent at school, but due to the enjoyment of the whole process. He is now going on to study civil engineering at University, with the hope that he could be involved in projects like this again.

Alongside the exhibition and talk, I happened to get the chance of joining them in having lunch, and talking to some of the people present such as architects and school teachers.

Again, another little thing that cheered up my day.

No comments: