Friday 21 November 2008

The world wide web - footprint

So it seems that I keep signing up to be part of various different online platforms that enable oneself to broadcast themselves to the world. Or communicate with the world. Or work collaboratively. The more I look, the more I find and the more I find, the more I think that it is so easy to lose track of your online footprint. Where you leave a trace, with maybe just one photo, one comment, a biography, a link, video...the list goes on.

Therefore, I thought that perhaps I would list some of the possibilities for various different tools here, simply as means for myself to track them...I am sure that this is not new news.... but it is useful and helpful to me...so for starters (may add to this list)


Creative networks
...
Co creation
Klusters - a really exciting tool - a group decision-making platform that helps businesses, groups and communities discuss and rate ideas.

Threadless - a co-creative t-shirt design site, hosts an exciting graphics uploaded + voted upon
Ning - allows the possibility for you to create a social network for anything that you want.
Delicious - wonderful tool for bookmarking sites online + searching others favourites
eilluminate - virtual conference - free for up to 3 people

Portfolio/data sites
Coroflot - Probably one of the biggest online design portfolio sites, constantly updated with new and impressive portfolios, with reviews of certain portfolios updated to the core77 blog
Computer Love - Creative networks, portfolio uploads, blog updates...lots going on
Carbon Made - Nice way to make a quick + simple website, also hosts portfolios, in particular I like the simplicit yof the design for the individual portfolio.
Scribd - allows you to put documents presentations online for public access. yo ucan also embed a document in your wesite.
Slideshare
- again for putting documents online
polldaddy - great free online surveys

Photographic/video social networks

Flickr - my ultimate favourite photography site for storage, sharing and searching, don't really look elsewhere, but will place a few links here anyway
youtube - only have a few things on here, but it is extremely useful for finding information etc.

Social networks
Linkedin -nice alternative to facebook for more business/non personal network creation
Twitter - staying conneted
Facebook -the infamous site, extremely useful for keeping in touch with a wide/ international network of friends
Bebo - used to use ie, but feel it is more for younger people
My space - don't use, but often look up musicians on there to hear a sample of their music

so various different website, blog and wiki servers:

Wetpaint - allows you to create a free website, nice layouts, a range of interesting sites
Blogger
Wordpress
Livejournal
Tumblr - I like the layout possibilities here
Pb wiki
Wiki.com
wikispaces


it is quite a long list already and I am sure that there is more that could be added to this...

No comments: